Dinner is an important meal in our household. Both Ayoe and I love cooking and trying out different recipes. The best part about dinner is sitting together at the dinner table, enjoying a nice home-made meal, and talking about our day. It’s really too bad that many people nowadays simply don’t sit down at the dinner table and have a nice conversation together. TV dinners seems like a common practice in many households.
From time to time due to commitments we have very little time to cook and eat. This is certainly an excuse to eat out but after purchasing Jamie Oliver’s Food Revolution book we found a great way to come up with quick dinner ideas. There’s a chapter in the book called “Twenty-minute meals” made specifically for people who have very little time to prepare dinner. Honestly, most of these meals can be made in as little as 10 minutes if you have a bit of practice. One of my favourites in the book is called “Quick Salmon Tikka with Cucumber Yogurt.” It’s so easy and yummy. It’s a shame to miss out on this great dish! (Note: recipe taken out from the book)
2 naan breads
1 fresh red chilli
1/2 a cucumber
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
2x 7-ounce salmon fillets, skin on, scaled, and bones removed
1 heaped tablespoon tandoori, or mild curry paste
How to prepare quick salmon tikka with cucumber yoghurt
1. Preheat your oven to 110°C/225°F
2. Pop your naan breads into the oven to warm through.
3. Halve, deseed and finely chop your chilli.
4. Peel and halve your cucumber lengthways, then use a spoon to scoop out and discard the seeds.
5. Roughly chop the cucumber and put most of it into a bowl.
6. Halve your lemon and squeeze the juice from one half into the bowl.
7. Add the yoghurt, a pinch of salt and pepper and half the chopped chilli.
8. Pick the coriander leaves and put to one side.
9. Slice each salmon fillet across lengthways into three 1.5cm wide slices and use a pastry brush or the back of a spoon to smear the tandoori paste all over each piece.
10. Heat a large frying pan over a high heat.
11. Once hot, add a lug of olive oil, put the salmon into the pan and cook for about 1.5 minutes on each side, until cooked through.
How to serve quick salmon tikka with cucumber yoghurt
1. Place a warmed naan bread on each plate.
2. Top each one with a good dollop of cucumber yoghurt and 3 pieces of salmon.
3. Scatter over a little of the reserved cucumber, chilli and coriander leaves and finish with a squeeze of lemon juice.